Skip to the content
New Orleans to Venice, Louisiana Hurricane Protect Project- Plaquemines Parish, LA
- 57,000 CY of the ground was improved by Deep Mixing Method (DMM).
- DMM was performed from a working platform near the existing top of the levee.
- DMM panels extended about 1.4 miles along the levee at the west bank of the Mississippi River.
- 750 DMM panels were installed in the transverse direction to the levee to
- Provide increased shear resistance to the levee against lateral loads.
- Support vertical load created by the increased height of the levee.
- Control long-term settlement of the remediated levee.
- Three main soil strata were identified; lean clay, fat clay, and clayey/silty sand (SC/CM).
- Traces of organic fat clay layers were encountered intermittently but were not abundant enough to be a concern.
- The fat clay is plastic clay with water content between 50% to 75%. Water content for lean clay and SC-SM was between 25% and 35%.
- The unconfined compressive strength of the clay soils varied between 600 psf to 2,500 psf.